Sunday, January 17, 2010

Women exchange beer - controversy ensues

Before the holidays, I read an article in the St. Louis Post Dispatch about women having a beer exchange instead of a cookie exchange. Sounds like a fun idea to me (although I like cookies too!) Check out the story here.

I was seriously amazed perusing the reader comments about the story... accusing the women of being irresponsible, drunk drivers, ugly, etc. In fact, comments have now actually been disabled (not sure whether this is standard after a certain time period). While responsible drinking is indisputably important, there was no reason in my opinion to think these women were being irresponsible. Maybe the idea of women wanting to exchange beer instead of cookies (or even wine) is a little too "non-traditional," and therefore controversial?

Any which way, this is a fun idea I am considering doing next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment