Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Everyday reminders

As hard as it is on many days to think about mom and miss her in so many ways, it is also so inspiring and important for me to remember her love every single day (which trust me, is not hard to do).

For the past couple of months, whenever I have a sad or bad day, I pull out a bookmark mom made for me. She actually gave it to me two years ago this month, right before I left for a 5-day trip with my boss that I had been really dreading, especially because of my anxiety over driving a long distance soon after my major car accident. She was always doing thoughful things like this for people, her constant support, empathy and understanding were what made her such a great mother (and person). Her bookmark reminds me of how much she loves me and believes in me. I have been wanting to frame this for months, so I see it every day, and finally found the right frame this weekend, thanks to Annie who suggested we make a run to the Pottery Barn outlet during our time in Memphis.

The frame was a little bigger that I originally wanted, I had envisioned simply the bookmark and letter, but this worked out so I could include a few other items, including a photo of me and her when I was a baby and one from my wedding, as well as cut-outs from cards she had given me earlier this year (the hummingbird as well as bird nest). I also included the packaging from the ring she gave me for Christmas. She told me she thought the message "Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished" was really imporant for me this year, as she knew it could be tough with Kevin looking for a job, possibly moving and being patient in terms of starting a family. Boy, she really had no idea how hard the year would be, but it gives me comfort to wear the ring every day and remember to (try to) live simply and cherish the journey, that is all we have.





2 comments:

  1. Love what you created with the special things your mom gave you! Love the bookmark (and letter)...and the ring!!! How special!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for sharing that! I love that ring and how creative she was. What beautiful gifts and words she gave you!

    ReplyDelete