Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Such Great Heights

The other night Maggie and I were sitting outside... enjoying the beautiful weather this week... when suddenly we heard a loud, torch-like noise. Freaked out for a few seconds, we soon realized a hot air balloon was literally right above our apartment. It was moving so fast but I was able to snap a few photos.





I was thinking it would be really cool to take a hot air balloon ride, so I googled to get some pricing and other information. One of the first facts I came across was that the hot air balloon is the oldest successful human-carrying flight technology. Also, the first successful hot air balloon flight was made in 1783 in Paris - a city we will be visiting in just about a month.

While I checked the prices of a hot air balloon ride in Paris, it is definitely out of our budget (169 euros/person). Interestly, this is about the same as it would be to take a hot air balloon ride over Columbia, MO...

Anyway, we might have another opportunity to view a city from above (sorry, Laura!) as Maggie found this awesome "to-do" in Barcelona- Cable car on Montjuic mountain. Only 12.50 euros, a much more affordable opportunity.


image from barcelonaphotoblog.com

2 comments:

  1. LOVE THIS! someone better do that shit with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom bought me a balloon ride for my 30th and my dads 60th but we never got to do it in St. Louis it was too windy the day we were supposed to go. Its been a dream of mine to do. Maybe we will get the chance someday. I love your alternative! That looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete