Sunday, June 6, 2010

Signs

We all do it - get caught up in the details of daily life. Sometimes we forget to live in the moment, see the beauty in everyday life and realize life will go on, missed deadline or not. Every now and then something little will remind us of the simplicity and beauty in life. I had one of these moments this weekend while I was at the Lake of the Ozarks to celebrate one year of marriage to Kevin.

Kevin and I had just returned from a hike than turned from relaxing to stressful with the realization that we had been "attacked" by ticks. I found a couple on Kev and he found some on me. We rushed home to check over each other again, shower, wash our clothes and check Cocoa. Fast forward about 30 minutes, we had (hopefully) removed the tickets and were clean. I decided to take a beer and my book to the pool while Kevin ran out to get groceries for dinner (thanks babe).

I found a nice spot at the pool, which was very quiet considering it was a hot day in June. I started reading, looking out at the Lake, relaxing in general. All of a sudden, I noticed that a breathtaking dragonfly had landed on my magazine, which I had laid on the chair next to me. I literally have never seen such a beautiful creature in person, it was truly stunning... and really meaningful, as my mom had become attached to dragonflies during the past year or so and Maggie even got a tattoo with dragonflies representing the members of our family. The dragonfly sat on my magazine for probably less than two minutes, but it seemed like a lifetime. Then, it just disappeared. I swear I didn't even see it fly away, it was so quick, graceful, one with nature.

In this moment I just felt overwhelmed with peace and comfort. I had felt really guilty about going to the Lake, not spending the weekend with my family. It was the first weekend I hadn't been to St. Louis or had my dad come to Columbia literally in months, since our lives have changed. But I really felt this was a sign, telling me it was OK to slow down, relax and even take some needed alone-time. We all need to do this in our lives.

I really wish I had my camera. I don't think I will ever forget the beauty of the dragonfly but I wish I could share it. I searched google images for a while and below is the closest I could come up with... but I really don't think it does it justice.



It you made it through this long post, thanks for reading! What signs have you seen reminding you of life's beauty and simplicity?

3 comments:

  1. cardinals(your mom to me), squash blossoms(yes the garden is blooming!), and by far the most is my new niece Addison Grace. Most beautiful thing in the world! miss you emily. I think Michael and I need to take your advice and do something alone and relax for a change. Feel like we always do something every night. Because soon enough we'll be in the house and trying to get it situated and oh boy. You know how hectic that can get. Also, will you be coming in for fourth of july? Michael and I were wondering, who wants to stay at our house that weekend? anyone? joe and melody? you, kevin, and maggie (no DD needed!)? anyway, can't wait to see you in like 1 1/2 weeks (too long!). love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Emily sorry about the tics but I was kind of laughing about it a little. Not the most romantic thing but a good laugh maybe later someday! I see signs all the time. Most beautiful butterfly landed on me the other day then landed on a flower, I got a photo I will post on my blog someday because I believe in signs all the time. I'm glad you guys had a good weekend. You deserve it. And if people are all going to be there in St. Louis on the 4th I may need to come down for a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ENJOY reading your blog so very much! Not long after I got back from St Louis a dragonfly appeared on the side of our house as I was walking in...it gave me great comfort as well - I had my camera with me - and snapped a photo - I will post it on my blog. Miss you so very much!

    ReplyDelete